How do you build a business case for social media marketing? You need relevant social media marketing statistics to back it up.
Only by knowing the latest trends and numbers behind social media marketing can you create a strategy that will inspire stakeholders and win more budget.
If you’re not sure where to find them, this list will help.
Read on for the latest social media marketing statistics for 2020:
General Social Media Marketing Statistics
- 3.499 billion people around the world are active social media users. (source)
- By generation, this breaks down to 90.4% millennials, 77.5% Gen X, and 48.2% Baby Boomers. (source)
- Time spent on social media is 144 minutes per day, on average. (source)
- WhatsApp has 6 billion active users, making it the world’s most popular mobile messenger app. (source)
- 54% of consumers use social media to research products. (source)
Social Media Strategy Statistics
- 9 out of 10 retail brands use two or more social media platforms. (source)
- 89% of marketers use Facebook in brand marketing efforts. (source)
- Advertising spend on social media overtook print media for the first time in 2019. (source)
- Social media comprises 13% of global ad spend, after TV (29%) and paid search (17%). (source)
- Facebook had over 7 million advertisers in 2019 Q3. (source)
Social media platform statistics
- 68% of millennials view stories on Instagram, compared to 49% on Snapchat, and 44% on Facebook. (source)
- 130 millionInstagram users click on shopping posts every month. (source)
- One-third of consumers would rather contact a brand or company using social media than by phone. (source)
- 8 out of 10 users would prefer to watch a brand’s live videothan read its blog. (source)
- When it comes to sharing video content, Facebook is the most popular platform (81%), followed by YouTube (62%) and Instagram (57%). (source)
- A staggering 200million Instagram users visit at least one business profile a day. (source)
- 85%of women use Pinterest to plan big or small life moments, compared to 53% on Facebook and 44% on Instagram. (source)
- 46%of social media traffic to B2B company websites comes from LinkedIn. (source)
- LinkedIn is the only social network platform where men and women are equally represented. (source)
- 83% of surveyed consumers use Facebook. (source)
- Two-thirds of surveyed consumers they Follow or Like a brand on Facebook. (source)
- By Q3 of 2019, Facebook had 2.5 million active monthly users. (source)
- 90% of Instagram users follow a business on the platform. (source)
- 89% of marketers say that Instagram is the most important social media platform for influencer marketing. (source)
The world of social media marketing is constantly shifting. These statistics will help you craft and refine your social media strategy for 2020. But it’s not enough to stop there. For the best results, you need to stay on top of the latest trends and build those most relevant into your strategy.